WYSIWYG Web Builder

What is the ASA?

Every swimmer and water polo player in the club will be required to pay their ASA fee (via the club) in January or February.

Coordinating forms and payments for around 200 people is a very time consuming exercise.  It will be greatly appreciated if you make your payment as soon as possible, and by the end of February at the latest.

Who are the ASA?

The Amateur Swimming Association is the English national governing body for swimming, diving, water polo, open water and synchronised swimming.

It organises competition throughout England, establishes the laws of the sport and operates comprehensive certification and education programmes for teachers, coaches and officials as well as its renowned Learn To Swim Awards scheme.

The ASA supports 1,600 affiliated swimming clubs through a National/Regional/County structure.

Why do I have to pay?

There are three main reasons;


Registering with the ASA provides you with personal accident insurance, and the club with liability and legal expenses insurance in respect of you.  The club does not have the resources to satisfy any such claim, so a claim in respect of an uninsured swimmer could force the closure of the club.

Access to competitive opportunities

If you wish to enter open competitions, or you are selected to swim in Speedo League, must have a competitor ID.  This is provided by the ASA.

National governing body

More generally, affiliation to the ASA provides our club with a range of support at all levels.

How much does it cost?

This depends on which category you select.  For 2010, the costs are
Category One £6.90
Category Two £22.50
Category Three £4 non-swimmers only

What are the different categories?

Category One

All members of any age who swim, but do not take part in;

*  open competitions;
*  Speedo League;
*  All members of any age who play water polo below District level.

An open competition is an event that accepts entries from swimmers from other clubs.  Swimmers pay to enter on an individual basis.

The ASA does not allow children aged under 9 on 31 December 2000 to participate in these events.  Swimmers born 2001 or later must therefore register as Category One.

Category Two

All members born 1999 or earlier who do take part in;

*  open competitions;

*  Speedo League.

*  All members of any age who play water polo at or above District level.

Category Three

All non-swimming members of any age, including, but not limited to:

* administrators;

* associate members;

* coaches;

* helpers;

* honorary members;

* life members;

* officers;

* qualified officials;

* patrons;

* teachers;

* temporary members;

* vice presidents

* verifiers or tutors of the ASA’s educational certificates.

Which category should I register under?

If you were born in 2001 or later, you must register under Category One.  This is because the ASA does not allow swimmers aged under 9 in the year of competition to enter Category Two activities.

If you were born in 2000 or earlier, you are strongly encouraged to register as Category Two so that you can take advantage of the competitive opportunities and be available for Speedo League selection.

Havant and Waterlooville is a competitive club, and the coaches expect that all swimmers will wish to develop their swimming through competition.  However, if you do not wish to register as Category Two, you must register as Category One instead for insurance purposes.

How often must I pay?

The fee must be paid once a year, to cover the year January to December.
Which category was I in last year?

This information is held at the club desk; you can find out there.

Where do I pay?

At the club desk.  The club desk is open at Waterlooville on Saturday evenings.
When do I pay?

During January or February.  Prompt payment is very much appreciated as it reduces the time and expense spent ‘chasing’ people.

How often?

This is an annual payment.  You are required to pay it when you join, and every year thereafter.

If you join in November or December, you will not have to pay the ASA fee for that year, as there is not much of the year left.  However, you will have to pay the fee for the next calendar year in the following January.
Do I need to fill in a form?

You might have to complete a registration form - the table will tell you.  Find your 2009 registration status in the green column, and read across to your intended 2010 registration status.

What category was I in last year?
If you choose Category Two in 2010 and you take any medication or dietary supplements, you need to fill in a Medication Declaration form.

If you are a member of more than one club, you need to fill in a Multi-Club Registration form.

Can I change my mind once I have registered?

If you register as Category One, you can upgrade to Category Two by paying the difference and completing the Category Two form (and Medication Declaration form if appropriate).

If you register as Category Two, you cannot downgrade until next year.

Therefore if you are unsure, you should register as  Category One in the first instance, so that you are covered by the insurance.

Do I get a membership card?

Yes, you will receive an ASA membership card.  It will be sent to the club, and will have your personal membership number on it.
I belong to another club - do I have to pay twice?

No, you only pay once, however many clubs you belong to.

You need to be registered with each club though, to be insured, so you need to complete a yellow Multi-Club Registration form.

Can I fill in the forms online / print the forms out?

No.  The ASA issues forms that use the carbon copy method to produce records for clubs, so they are not available electronically.

What is the Medication Declaration form?

In common with other sports, the issue of using substances to enhance performance is a concern.

The Category Two form includes the following undertaking;
“I confirm that I will submit myself to official Doping Control at any time when requested”.

If you are aged under 18, the form includes your parent/guardian’s agreement.

The Medication Declaration form is the way to inform the ASA of substances that you are taking legitimately.  It requests your doctor’s name and address, and the medication that you take.

This can be given to the club desk to return to the ASA, or if you would like more privacy, you can return it yourself using a freepost label provided by the club.

The club does not receive a copy of the Medication Declaration Form.

The Medication Declaration form must be completed every year, even if the medication has not changed

What is the Multi-Club Registration form?

Although you only pay once, the insurance element of your payment can cover you when you swim at any club.

For this to happen, you have to complete the Multi-Club registration form. It requests the name of each club you are a member of, and a signature from the Secretary of each club.

You can get the form from any of your clubs, but it should be completed in the order of length of membership.  So, the club that you joined first will be at the top, then the next, etc.

What if I change clubs mid year?

If you leave one club and join another, you can transfer your registration - you don’t have to pay again.